Thursday, April 21, 2011

Day 136-141 Numbers Checked? Check!

Last Saturday my church sponsored a Health Fair.  It was really awesome because they had a medical truck that performed different test screenings like diabetes, high blood pressure and HIV.  I decided to get my diabetes and high blood pressure checked.  The last time I had my number ran was about two years ago when I found out I was pregnant.  I wasn't sure if it counted since I was pregnant so I wanted to get it checked since I'm not pregnant now.  Anyway, I was a bit nervous because my father has diabetes and high blood pressure and a host of other health problems.  My biggest fear is that my weight has granted me the unfortunate fate of sharing my father's health problems. 

The nurse that performed the tests was a healthy seventy-something year old woman who look as if she never ate anything bad in her entire life and her husband is a doctor who hasn't eatten sweets since 1996!  When she saw this big black beautiful girl walk on the tiny medical bus, I know she was thinking all kings of stuff.  I can imagine her looking at me and saying to herself, "That's one big girl!  I know I'm going to give her a rude awakening."  Well, first she performed the high blood pressure test and she seamed surprised that my blood pressure was normal because she said, "Oh, looks like your blood pressure is good."  I don't remember exactly what my numbers were because I really wanted to hear about the diabetes test.  Well, here we go...the big test.  The scary test.  The test that would shake my foundation.  The nurse pricked my finger with an Accu-Chek blood glucose monitor and after a few seconds, yes, seconds, my number was 103.  The nurse said that was good.  I went back to my health information session class thinking this little old lady lied to me.  If 110 is the normal, I asked her before I left the bus, than 103 must mean I'm pre-diabetic, right? Wrong.  My glucose blood sugar is fine.  I'm fine.  This was great news!  Granted I'm not where I should be but I'm working on my weight and as long as I keep going, I will be alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment